Announcements and Key Dates
We are open with limited capacity. Reservations are *no* longer required to attend services in-person, though all parishioners must comply with COVID-19 policies and procedures.
Please read the update from the Parish Council for more details.
Christ is Risen! Truly He has Risen!
The Metropolis of Chicago and the CDC have recently come out with recommendations on updates to COVID-19 restrictions in our churches. Assumption wants to maintain an environment that is safe and comfortable for all those desiring to worship together and recognizes that many people still have questions and concerns about what the evolving public health landscape means for them in their day-to-day lives. As a result, our parish plans to take a measured, stepwise approach to relaxing our COVID-19 restrictions to ensure that we accomplish this goal in a practical way for our parish. Now, our biggest concern is keeping families and others safe who are not yet vaccinated; and as a result, we have updated our parish guidelines and wanted to share them with you.
Items listed in blue highlight the most recent changes.
● Regardless of vaccination status, everyone is required to always have a mask on while inside the Church.
● We will not ask parishioners for their vaccination status, and this policy helps us maintain privacy and simplify seating processes.
● We will be utilizing every other pew for natural social distancing and allowing family and friends to sit together if so requested/desired.
● Ushers will escort all guests to their requested pews.
● Sign-in will occur in St. Catherine’s, for contact tracing purposes, but temperature checks will no longer be necessary.
● Everyone will be able to secure and light their own candles, including red memorial candles as they will be placed in the Pangari.
● If you want a red candle on the solea an usher will need to place that candle on the solea for you.
● We will continue to provide pre-packaged Antidoron.
● Prepackaged treats and controlled coffee and beverage service will be allowed outside.
● Reservations are no longer required, except for Liturgy in the Park and other special events and services that require planning.
● We will not be passing trays but will provide a container for guests to provide a donation that will be placed in the Pangari.
● We plan on having our choir return with our new Ecclesiastical year in September 2021.
We all want to put this pandemic behind us, but we also want to make sure we keep those who have small children or who cannot be vaccinated feel safe to worship with us. As we look ahead to summer, we anticipate even more flexibility to social distancing and gathering guidelines over the next few weeks, and we will provide you with the necessary communication as soon as those decisions have been made.
We look forward to worshiping, together, with you and your families. In Christ,
Assumption Parish Council
Worshipping at Home?
All services are livestreamed from our YouTube channel, and we invite you to worship with us from home or wherever you are!
For a full schedule of liturgical services, view our Parish Calendar.
- June 13 - General Assembly Meeting - 3pm via Zoom, contact Tom Demos for details RSVP
- June 17 - Caregivers Support Group Meeting - 7pm via Zoom, contact Andrew Kanel for details RSVP
- June 20 - Father's Day - Father Apostolos and our Stewardship committee are working on a special way to honor our Father's this year - you won't want to miss it!
- July 18 - White Sox Outing - 1pm, contact Tom Demos for details RSVP
- August 28 - Liturgy in the Park - St. Iakovos Retreat Center (Kansasville, WI) - Details coming soon!
Read the Sunday Bulletin for the latest news and announcements at Panagia.
GIFT OF LIGHT
Please give the “Gift of Light” to Assumption Panagia’s Church. We need a family or an individual, to sponsor, per week, the lighting of our vigil lamps and candles in both of our holy Altars of Panagia and Saint Catherine. This includes the daily lighting of both of our holy Altars throughout the week. Suggested donation for this ministry is $100.00. Reservations, with your donation to Assumption Church, can be made through the church office. Simply, ask for the week you desire and remember to offer the names of your loved ones, both the living and those who have fallen asleep, so that they may be commemorated at the Prothesis Table of Oblation) during the Sunday Orthros of that week.
An acknowledgement in the weekly bulletin will be printed. Please specify if you would like your donation posted either in memory of… or for the health and well being of…. Our Church is blessed to have two consecrated Altars. During the Consecration service, and forever after, the Lord entrusts to the angelic powers to keep the holy Altar pure and holy. As Saint Symeon of Thessaloniki reminds us, the Holy Altar is the border between heaven and earth, it is the throne of glory and the dwelling place of God and the workshop of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. We all need prayers, and your “Gift of Light” will help.
If you have questions, ideas, or talents to volunteer to Assumption's communications efforts, please contact us at email@example.com
Assumption Greek Orthodox Church
601 S. Central Avenue
Chicago, IL 60644
Phone: (773) 626-3114
Fax: (773) 626-3141
The Church office is open Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm and Friday from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm.
Do you see something that needs the attention of our Maintenance committee, click here?
General website support or website questions, click here!
Access to all things Panagia's is now at your fingertips. Keep up to date with upcoming events, view new photos and videos, receive notifications directly to your home screen, make donations directly from you phone...it's all possible! Download the new parish app today and experience our parish life in a whole new way!
Live Divine Liturgy Services can be viewed every Sunday morning beginning at 9:45 am CDT